Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Designer: Rym Beydoun

Today I want to focus on a designer I recently discovered, Rym Beydoun, and her modesty collection.

Rym Beydoun is a graduate of Central Saint Martin. She is an up and coming designer. She is also a practicing Muslim which came into play in her latest collection "Modesty".

Here is a quote from the designer herself:
“Combining fashion and Islam has been really challenging especially since appeal is strongly linked with showing skin. I tried to show that modesty can be as appealing as nudity. The concept behind the collection was to push the traditional and religious limits of the veil in adapting it into a modern society. Being a Muslim myself with friends and family wearing the veil, I wanted to create something that would make muslim women more comfortable, confident and fashionable while still maintaining their religious identity and values. I aimed to change the scarf garment from its common conception to an empowering tool for women.”
— Rym Beydoun


Here are some photos from her "Modesty" showing:




http://dismagazine.com/blog/47193/rym-beydouns-experimental-modesty/

I really liked how she worked her personal religious views into her work because that is what art is really all about, showcasing your inner feels, thoughts, emotions, and points of view. I also applaud the modesty. While these outfits may be designed for the Islamic modesty standards, I as a Woman, and a Christian woman at that, can appreciate the modesty. While I do enjoy showing some mid-drift, cleavage, or skin once in a while I appreciate that modesty can be sexy as well. By not showing as much, you leave more to the imagination.

So let me know what you think! Is modest the new skimpy? Can modest be sexy too? And what do you think of Rym Beydoun's designs? Leave your opinions in the comments!

Love!
-Miss Marvelous Misadventures
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment