Monday, July 29, 2013

Book: Hym and Hur


Hey friends!
Today I wanted to share a review of a short story I had the opportunity to read. The story is Hym and Hur by Phillip Frey.

    The story is roughly 8,000 words or 21 pages which makes for a quick read. The story is about a couple, Hym and Hur, who have been in love for over 100 years, who posses magical powers that they use for the good of people and also to pull pranks. In this story Hym and Hur make a deal with death to give a select person the ability to bring people to life with his touch. The story unfolds and shows how Death has tricked Hym and Hur and shows how this "gift" causes both joy and grief.
    I really enjoyed reading this story. It took no longer than 25 minutes but left me pondering several questions. Is being able to bring back the dead a gift or a curse? To be honest, I'm not sure of my answer though I think it would go more towards gift. One of my favorite parts of the story was when Hym gave Hur her birthday present.
     "“Hang on,” he said, stepping away. He reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a
ring. He handed it to her and said, “Happy Birthday.”
“Ohhh,” she purred, “what a beautiful stone, black as a starless night.”
“Put it on your finger and bring it close to your eyes,” he told her. “Now look into

it,” he said, “and think about a past event you’d like to see; an hour ago, year ago, a century ago — whenever.”"
    I really liked the idea having a ring or a stone that lets you see any event in the past. I thought this was very inventive as I haven't seen many other pieces of literature with similar ideas. 
    All in all I really enjoyed this story, I think it leaves readers with thought provoking questions while still maintaining a light hearted feel. I would love to read more about Hym and Hur's adventures as I feel very attracted to them as characters especially Hur. I would recommend this story to anyone 16 and up. I think people young and old can appreciate what this story has to offer. 

If you are interested in buying and reading this story you can get it HERE for only 99c! Its a great deal, If you have to choose between a new app for your iPhone or this story, definitely go with this story. Here is the url one more time: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/122852

I hope you guys get the opportunity to read this story. In the comments let me know what you think! Does this sound like something that would interest you? If you do read it, let me know in the comments what you think!

Much Love!
Miss Marvelous Misadventures
Emily

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment